Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon
About the event (from the printed material):
The Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon is a two-day mountain navigation event open to teams of two. Teams navigate between checkpoints, visiting team in order given. Saturdays course will finish at a mid-way campsite. Competitors must carry lightweight camping and safety equipment as listed in the rules below.
Competitors should all be competent in the use of map and compass in the mountains. Many checkpoints require accurate navigation, especially in misty conditions. Competitors are recommended to practice their map-reading skills before the event.
- All competitors must hand in their control card to an official, even if they are retiring, otherwise the mountain rescue may be called out.
- All competitors must follow the Country Code. In particular it is forbidden to climb walls or fences. Enclosed farmland may only be crossed on a public right of way.
- Every pair must remain together at all times except in the event of an emergency.
- Each individual competitor must wear or carry the following at all times: Suitable footwear, Rucksack, Sleeping Bag, Sweater, Long trousers, Waterproof jacket with hood, Waterproof overtrousers, Torch with min. 3v battery, Compass, Whistle, Pen/ Pencil.
- Each team must carry at all times: Tent including groundsheet, Poles and pegs, Stove/Fuel blocks, Matches, Food for 2 days, Emergency food, Plasters and Bandage.
KLETS CLASSIC CLASS: Winning time 12 hours total. This solo event is for the skilled and very fit high level mountain travellers. Entrants must be over 21 years old and must have successfully completed 2 Saunders Scafell or 2 Karrimor Elite (or one of each) in recent years. Other experience of long, solo mountain trips will be considered by the organisers. Checkpoints may be taken in any order, and may be at locations requiring scrambling skills and precise navigation.
SCAFELL CLASS: (Team Event) Winning time 12 hours total. For top-class fell-running navigators. Entrants must be over 21 years. Competitors must have successfully completed Saunders Scafell Bowfell, Karrimor Elite or similar long distance fell-navigation courses.
BOWFELL CLASS: (Team Event Winning time 11 hours total Another tough classic Entrants must be over 18 years old and must have previous experience of other long distance mountain navigation events.
KIRKFELL CLASS: (Team Event) Winning time 9-10 hours total For runners with some experience. If you have previously finished this course in a time 50% longer than the winners time then you should enter a shorter course.
CARROCK FELL CLASS: (Team Event) Winning time 8-9 hours total. If you have previously finished this course in a time 50% longer than the winners time then you should enter the Harter Fell Class.
HARTER FELL CLASS: (Team Event) Winning time 8 hours total.
WANSFELL CLASS: Team Event) Winning time 8 hours total. This class is now open to runners as a shorter altenative to the Harter Fell, however it is also still open to walkers, who must wear boots and walk the whole course. There will be a special prize category for the leading team of walkers. Please indicate on the entry form it you are a walking team. Meals will be provided at the conclusion of Sundays courses.
Prizes will be awarded to the following categories in each class: 1 st, 2nd & 3rd overall, 1 st Womens Team, 1 st Mixed Team, 1 st Veterans Handicap. The Wansfell class includes a special prize category for leading walkers team. The veterans handicap is open to teams whose combined age is 80 plus. An adjusted time is calculated based on years over 80.