We started in the early nineties mostly as an alternative to climbing on rainy days. At first caving will appear as a non-gracious sport without any techniques or much scope for development. Having visited your first cave you might come out thinking: "now I've done this: I've seen this cave, now I've seen them all". If you stay with it for a while though you will realize that this is far from the truth and that there is enough "in" caving to last you a lifetime.
We became true cavers through a number of trips starting with our first exploit underground into Goatchurch Cavern in 1992. The followed years with mostly climbing on the menu with the occassional trip down Swildon's Hole, Fairy Cave and other classics around The Mendips in the UK.
|What we wear|
Alongside the activities in the Mendips we enjoyed learning the skills and techniques of SRT'ing with Tim on trips up in North England.
A major event on our caving path was on our roadtrip to Mexico and Guatemala in 1999 where we were driving around in Daisy - a van full of caving gear (unfortunately no SRT kit). We had an divine trip into a cave system called Lanquin and got a taste of what real exploratory caving could be like. We also had a cave diving trip into an amazing system on the Yucatan Peninsular.
Back in the UK in 2001 we made another trip of major importance to our interest in caving - a day trip into Ogof y Daren Cilau in South Wales. Considered one of the hardest caves in the country (that is accessible) we had a great time in this cave of caves. We've been back many times since.
Mathias moved to Grenoble, France - another major caving area of Europe and the world and has had numerous exciting trips down the caves of the Vercors.
Caving is like applied yoga. Imagine you are doing yoga in a classroom, learning how to extend your arms by nudging your shoulderblade a couple of degrees to the right: this is all extremely useful in caving. Rather than burling your way through a narrow squeeze you can apply your yoga body knowledge and "yoga" your way through. It's an absolutely brilliant combination of the two sports. You will discover how gracious caving then becomes. In the extreme cases knowing how you twist and turn your corpus is essential to get trough ultra tight squeezes.
We have loads of stories and photos from the caves we've done. Check it all out, left right and below. If you're still left with the "why do this", try reading this.
Read more about
- Cave Camping
- Why go caving
- Try our caving game
- How To Cave
- Mathias' Helmet
- Vercors Caving topos
- Ogof y Daren Cilau
- Agen Allwedd
- Gaping Ghyll
- Sell Gill
- Vercors May 2002
- Swildon's Hole
- Otter Hole
Caving trip reports
- Dweebland Trip with Smoke Bomb - 7/11/2003
- Spaderunner - 9/2/2003
- Restaurant at the End of the Universe (REU) - 7/12/2002
- Hard Rock Cafe - first camp - 2/10/2002
- Ethical Return to the Antlers - 25/5/2002
- The Old Main Chamber - 30/1/2002
- St David's Streamway - 27/1/2002
- 4h.42m Antlers and back - 10/12/2001
- First trip to OyDC - 1/12/2001
- All our caving trips are listed on adventurehut
- Our Timeline in OyDC
- Ogof Draenen 5 August 2003
- Ogof Draenen 25 June 2003
- Box Trip was interesting 25 January 2003
- A Mendip through trip 7 October 2002
- Not the Swildon's Round Trip! 2 September 2002
- Fairy cave - without lager 27 June 2002
- Pot 2 - Grosvenor style (expect we didn't have any light problems) 5 June 2002
- Scialet A2 - Double Black Helmet 3 June 2002
- Ogof Draenen - second match to the cave 31 May 2002 - Warning: Long Report
- Ogof Draenen - with 20 minutes to spare 16 May 2002
- Craig A Ffynon - at last 24 April 2002
- Slaughter - speeding on to Kuwait Passage 7 March 2002
- Easterwater - in high water 4 March 2002
- Slaughter Stream Cave 16 January 2002
- Drilling in Trou du Diable, Vercors, France 9 December 2001
- Gaping Gill - Three holes ticked in one go Editors Pick 5 December 2001
- Success and failure in Ogof Ffynnon Ddu Editors Pick 30 November 2001
- Disaster in Thrupe Lane Swallet 15 November 2001
- Swildons Hole 8 November 2001
- HPCC branches out AHPES group
- Adventure Hut opens up Caving Section 25 October 2001
- A Note on Cave Ethics 19 October 2001
- Pot of Rod 18 October 2001
- Manor Farm Swallet 11 October 2001
- Longwood/August Editors Pick 5 October 2001
- Eastwater Cavern 15 June 2001
- Aggy Alwed Editors Pick 8 February 2001